INVEST IN QUALITY
Buy Sustainable Fashion and less fast Fashion
- Buy second hand
- Buy local
- Reduce waste and use less plastic in the fashion industry; look for quality fabrics and materials that can be reused or repurposed (dye them yourself!)
SHOP AT A SECOND HAND OR THRIFT STORE
- Secondhand stores are a great place to find stylish and affordable pieces.
- You’ll be supporting local businesses and helping the environment by buying used clothing, which is better for the planet than manufacturing new clothes.
- You can find unique items at secondhand stores that you might not have known about otherwise.
INVEST IN SKINCARE
Skincare has taken an ugly turn lately. In 2021 Harvard revealed some big truths about makeup and similar products, and things didn’t get any better in 2022.
Of course not all brands are included in the less than standard quality cosmetics.
- Buy quality products. This is important! There are a lot of expensive skincare products out there, and many of them don’t work as well as the drugstore brands.
- Use natural and organic ingredients in your products if possible. These won’t irritate or harm your skin like some synthetic chemicals can do—and anyway, it’s just better for you to use natural stuff!
- Pick products that work for you based on your skin type (dry/oily etc).
Drink lots of water! Staying hydrated will help keep your skin looking fresh, plus it’ll help flush out toxins from your body so that they don’t start building up inside of you like an old toxic waste site from the ’80s.
Know your worth. Don’t let other people’s opinions dictate who you are.
BUY NEW UNDERWEAR & SHAPEWEAR
Get rid of your old underwear. Most people don’t know that underwear is only supposed to have a shelf life of 6-12 months. Sadly the majority of us are wearing undergarments closer to 5-10 years old. Way past the expiration date.
It’s easy to get sucked into the idea that if everyone else is doing something, you should do it too. But there’s no need to feel pressured by what’s popular at the moment—if you’re not comfortable with a trend, don’t try it! You’ll only make yourself miserable in the long run if you try to force something that doesn’t fit your personality and style sensibilities.
Sewing can be very fulfilling. You can sew new projects and gifts, you can alter clothing that doesn’t fit right, make cozy blankets and quilts, and you can create lasting memories with the projects you sew. It doesn’t have to be hard, it just takes practice and patience, but soon you can be sewing like a pro.