On Tuesday, Time Magazine released their annual ‘Most Influential People’ list
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry made an outdoor appearance Monday during ABC’s “Time 100” special, where they spoke from their new home.
In a video, which is believed to have been filmed in the garden of the royal couple’s home the Duke of Sussex said that he is not eligible to vote in the November 3 US election and has never even voted in the UK due to royals being expected to follow strict political neutrality. When we vote, our values are put into action and our voices are heard. Your voice is a reminder that you matter, because you do and you deserve to be heard,’ continued Markle.
“Now we’re just six weeks out from election day and today is national voter registration day. Every four years we are told the same thing, that this is the most important election of our lifetime. But this one is. When we vote, our values are put into action and our voices are heard. Your voice is a reminder that you matter because you do and you deserve to be heard,” Meghan said.
Harry, 36, who will not be able to vote, nor has he in the UK his “entire life,” then stated, “It’s vital that we reject hate speech, misinformation, and online negativity.”
Meghan, 39, has been a target of cyberbullies since becoming a member of the UK’s royal family, which enforced a crackdown on trolls in March 2019. While the Sussexes have since stepped down as “senior royals,” their vision of a collective community remains of utmost importance.
“What we’re exposed to online seeps into how we engaged with each other offline. It can train us to be kind, or it can train us to be cruel,” Meghan said.
She later added, “Let’s challenge ourselves to build communities of compassion.”
Earlier this week, Gloria Steinem revealed Meghan had been cold-calling Americans and urging them to vote. The two sat down together for a discussion over the summer.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex: "Congratulations to this year's transformative leaders and change makers. You work tirelessly to create a better world, a better global community for all of us" #TIME100 https://t.co/3aojLBhOVu pic.twitter.com/aqOkVUNFBX
— TIME (@TIME) September 23, 2020
The New York Times reports the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have founded an unnamed production company and signed a multiyear deal with the steaming service, which will pay them to make documentaries, docu-series, feature films, scripted shows and children’s programming.
‘Our focus will be on creating content that informs but also gives hope,’ the couple reportedly confirmed in a statement.
‘As new parents, making inspirational family programming is also important to us.’
In recent months, Harry and Meghan have made countless appearances via video conference calls with organisations, students and activists.
In August, Meghan Markle confirmed that she was ready to ‘use my voice in a way that I haven’t been able to of late’, referring to the couple’s decision to step back as senior working members of the royal family earlier this year.